Sunday, August 25, 2013

Guitar Lick - Hail to the Pedal Point

Today's guitar lick is inspired by the title track to the new Avenged Sevenfold album 'Hail to the King'.
It has been a long time since I heard a guitar lick I was so in love with that I had to sit down and learn it note for note.The last album I remember doing that with was Metallica's and Justice For All. Anyway I love the guitar lick that opens 'Hail to the King'. It runs throughout a lot of the song kind of like 'Thunderstruck" by ACDC does. It is a great sounding guitar lick and really tests your stamina.

In a similar vein I've come up with a guitar lick with a pedal point E note on the open high E string. My guitar is tuned C# G# C# F# A# D# which is drop d down a half step. The second part of the guitar lick uses a rhythm pattern similar to 'Hail to the King' but the intervals are quite different given the position change. The guitar lick is primarily 16th notes. I do not pick this strictly alternate.