Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Bebop Scale Beginner Jazz Guitar Lick


I'm just a very novice player when it comes to Jazz but I really want to improve so I've decided to make April a Jazz Guitar month on the site. No this isn't April fool's. Anyone craving rock, metal or blues guitar this month be sure to check out the previous posts or the lesson site.
To kick off Jazz Guitar Month here at lick of the day we begin with a jazz lick using the C Bebop Scale (Major Seventh Version - we'll tackle the dominant 7th version later). The notes for this scale are C, D, E, F, G, A, Ab, B, C. While there are no rules that can't be broken from what I've read to get an authentic bebop jazz guitar sound you want to use this scale in a descending pattern and hit the chord tones on the down stroke. I've tried to take this into account in the following lick. Follow along with the tab. The video is played first at full speed then slower. Again note the swing feel.