Sunday, October 13, 2013

Bring on the Bluegrass

Ok every once and awhile I get the urge to learn some bluegrass. Most recently the bug was rekindled by seeing the amazing J.P. Cormier play. Great set by the way included 'Jerry's Breakdown', 'Dixie Breakdown' and 'Blue Angel'. Anyway this prompted me to pick up the acoustic and try to come up with a little bluegrass style guitar lick of my own. This is a pretty basic guitar lick. Bluegrass guitarists in my opinion are like jazz players the best of them are select in company and monster players. I freely admit I am a total novice at this style. Aside from JP whom I've mentioned I love Tony Rice and the multi-instrumentalist Mark O'Connor.

I kept this guitar lick based around the key of G. Nothing too fancy. The phrasing is slightly different from the written tab so listen to the music for the rhythm. I played this in standard tuning but with a capo at the second fret.