Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wide Interval Guitar Lick

I've always loved the sound of wide interval guitar licks. This guitar lick is based around the C major scale.
For some beautiful examples of these type of guitar licks in a band context check out the Red Hot Chili Peppers. "Scar Tissue" is a good example of a song based around a wide interval guitar lick. On a different note the last post talked about inspiration and creativity. I just wanted to let everyone know I came across the playing of an awesome guitarist named Nels Cline. Do yourself a favor if you have never heard his playing and check him out on youtube. He currently plays with the band Wilco and has played with Banyan ( he does a really wicked 'Maggot Brain') but it is his own material I found the most interesting. Anyway he has a really great combination of so called traditional technique and more experimental elements that I think a lot of people will find interesting and hopefully inspire you to create new sounds with your own instruments. I've read that he has recorded on over 150 albums so I've got lots of great playing to check out.